Thursday, March 29, 2018

Plaza Blanca in Black and White





One of Georgia O'Keeffe's locations for painting is not too far from her house and studio in Abiquiu, New Mexico.  It's called Plaza Blanca, due to the light colored cliffs and hoodoos in the area.  I have photographed and blogged about Plaza Blanca before; you can read it by clicking here.

In early February I went to Plaza Blanca again, this time with two photography friends -- Alan Postelnek (from Albuquerque) and Pat Miller, whom I met on a Road Scholar photo trip (vacationing from winter in Michigan).

The day gave us blue sky with a few streaky clouds and brilliant sunshine, and we were there in the late morning -- not great conditions for anything but postcard-like images.  




So after looking at my images from the trip, I decided to convert some into black-and-white . . . and I'm glad I did.  It turns Plaza Blanca into an other-worldly landscape.

You enter Plaza Blanca by walking down a hill to a wide arroyo. 




On both sides of the arroyo are cliffs, hoodoos, and other weird-looking geological features.
















These next two images look like something out of Mordor . . .








I liked these round rocks . . .





















And with black-and-white I can highlight the cloud action . . .



If you would like to see these images in a larger format, please visit my photography website, Todos Juntos Photography, by clicking here.

Enjoy!











1 comment:

  1. Very timeless geology - looks good in B&W. Nice composition, especially with the boulders / Barry

    ReplyDelete