Friday, August 7, 2026

My Excellent European Adventure 60th Anniversary - Musical Interlude #1: Out of Time


 

I brought a small transistor radio on the trip -- the social media device of the 1960s -- and would tune in to whatever station I could find.  One night during our first week in England I heard a song that I really liked, sung by a male vocalist whose voice I didn't recognize, but he kinda sounded like Tom Jones.


I learned his name was Chris Farlowe, an English journeyman blues and rock singer unknown in the United States.  He had started singing professionally in 1957 with a couple of different groups, and became a solo act in 1962, with little success.  In 1965, however, he signed with a record company headed by the Rolling Stones' manager, Andrew Loog Oldham, and began covering Jagger/Richard songs including "Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black."


In early 1966, Oldham got Jagger to offer Farlowe a song called "Out of Time."  The Stones had recorded the song for their Aftermath album, released in the U.K. on April 15, but it was dropped from the U.S. edition (along with three other now lesser-known songs) because the U.S. distributor wanted a shorter album.


With Jagger as producer, Farlowe recorded "Out of Time" in late April and early May, and it was released June 17.  It entered the UK Singles Chart at #36, and reached #1 on July 28, where it stayed for one week.  "Out of Time" exited the UK chart in September.  It was Farlowe's biggest hit.


You can hear the song on YouTube here.  Listen carefully and you'll hear Mick and the boys singing back-up.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment